According to the power consumption rules of the power grid and the characteristics of the LED drive power supply, the following points should be considered when selecting and designing the LED drive power supply:
1. High reliability Especially like the driving power of LED street lights, it is installed at high altitude, it is inconvenient to maintain, and the maintenance cost is also large.
2. High-efficiency LEDs are energy-efficient products that drive power supplies with high efficiency. For power installation, the structure of the LED driver in the luminaire is especially important. Since the luminous efficiency of the LED decreases as the temperature of the LED increases, the heat dissipation of the LED is very important. The power supply has high efficiency, its power consumption is small, and the heat generated in the lamp is small, which reduces the temperature rise of the lamp. It is beneficial to delay the light decay of LEDs.
3. High power factor The power factor is the grid's load requirements. Generally, there are no mandatory indicators for electrical appliances below 70 watts. Although the power factor of a single power consumer with low power has little effect on the power grid, at night, everyone lights up, and the similar load is too concentrated, which will cause serious pollution to the power grid. For 30 watts to 40 watts of LED driver power, it is said that in the near future, there may be certain indicators for power factors.
4. There are two types of driving methods: one is a constant voltage source for multiple constant current sources, and each constant current source supplies power to each LED separately. In this way, the combination is flexible, and all the LED faults do not affect the work of other LEDs, but the cost will be slightly higher. The other is direct constant current supply, with LEDs running in series or in parallel. Its advantage is that the cost is lower, but the flexibility is poor, and it is necessary to solve a certain LED failure without affecting the operation of other LEDs. These two forms coexist for a while. Multi-channel constant current output power supply mode will be better in terms of cost and performance. Perhaps it is the mainstream direction in the future.
5. Surge Protection The ability of LEDs to withstand surges is relatively poor, especially against reverse voltage capability. It is also important to strengthen protection in this area. Some LED lights are installed outdoors, such as LED street lights. Due to the start of the grid load and the induction of lightning strikes, various surges will be invaded from the grid system, and some surges will cause LED damage. Therefore, the LED driver power supply must have the ability to suppress the intrusion of surges and protect the LEDs from damage.
6. Protection function In addition to the conventional protection function, it is better to increase the LED temperature negative feedback in the constant current output to prevent the LED temperature from being too high.
7. Protection aspects The external installation of the lamp, the power structure should be waterproof and moisture-proof, and the casing should be light-resistant.
8. The life of the drive power is adapted to the life of the LED.
9. To comply with safety and electromagnetic compatibility requirements.
With the increasing use of LEDs, the performance of LED drive power will be more and more suitable for LED requirements.